Re: [Amps] Need GU-74B info

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Need GU-74B info
From: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:32:00 -0700
On 29 Aug 2006 at 16:03, Rob @ Peg Pohorence wrote:

> Hello all, I was wondering if the GU-74b tube could sustitute for a 3cx800a7,
> Maybe someone has already done this change?

The GU-74B WILL NOT substitute for a 3cx800a without considerable
modification to the circuitry.  The 3cx800a is a triode, and the GU-
74B is a tetrode... and it's a tetrode that will NOT do well if it is
connected as a triode (screen directly to the control grid).
However, if you supply the correct operating voltages, it is a very
good tube indeed... it's a 4CX800A.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT