Re: [Amps] TL-922 question

To: "'R L Measures'" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] TL-922 question
From: "Robert B. Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:35:45 -0500
See below

R. B.:  Did you measure the C to determine this?

*** The course of action was:  I visually inspected the bandswitch through
its operation and determined it didn't have any intermittent, flashed or
vaporized contacts.  Backed it up with a VOM check.

***Visually inspected the loading cap.

***Since it didn't have enough loading cap capability, I logically
determined the padder was at fault.

> Because of the way the amp is built this unit is really sandwiched
> into
> the amp.  There was no way to physically see the damage to this
> unit until
> it was removed from the amplifier.  From the top it looks like it
> is still
> in perfect shape.

That's because the Load-C padder caps usually are in perfect shape
after the bandswitch padder section contacts have evaporated.

***Yes but not in this case.  Looking at the cap from the side, the bottom
post had pulled out.  If the top post had left, it would have been visible
from the top.  Kenwood must have figured these caps were stronger than they
were, there was considerable tension trying to pull the cap apart.

***I replaced this cap with a couple Centralabs and the owner is still using
it.

> While band switches fail, arc spark etc, usually they can be
> wiggled for a
> time and get connection back.  When this thing pops its all over.

Evaporated contacts don't wiggle.

***No they don't do they...  It's probably more of a tinkle as they hit the
bottom of the cabinet.

BOB DD