Re: [Amps] Parasitics & Filament Sag now Soldering

To: g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Parasitics & Filament Sag now Soldering
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:41:51 -0400
Peter,

This electronic "silver solder" here in the states is really an alloy of silver
with a low melting temperature. I think it's more tin than silver if I recall
(silver 4% to 5%, Tin 96%). I did some research on this a while back and it's
in the Amps archives. Real silver solder is actually a braze, or was the way I
was taught by Lincoln Electric and Eutectic Castolin who manufactures it. It
has a pretty high melting temperature 600 to 700 deg C where the electronics
type melts at 238 deg C. The problem is that one couldn't use the braze type on
electronics over the high heat involved as one really needs a flame for it. If
I recall, there may be a couple of alloys of the electronics silver solder and
one may have a higher temperature. One would have to research that, but a look
at Brownells gunsmith supplies may show some others. I used to buy some from
there as a paste, and they had other wire types also.

Eutectic Castolin;

http://www.castolin.com/wCastolin_com/index.php

http://www.castolin.com/wCastolin_com/products/brazing/silver_brazing.php?navid=61

http://www.castolin.com/wCastolin_com/products/brazing/soft_solders.php?navid=65

Electronics Silver Solder;

http://www.ccis.com/home/hn/index_files/Page5.htm

On 8/30/06 at 5:08 PM Peter Chadwick wrote:

>This encoded message has been converted to an attachment.
>
>Rich said:
>some users of low VHF-Q suppressors report seeing a
dull red
>glow from the resistance-wire on 10m RTTY.  Obviously, this
can melt the
>221ºC silver-solder we furnish with our retrofit kits
the kits---
><

That is a soft silver solder, then? A hard silver solder (which is what
>is meant by the generic term 'silver solder' generally) would have to be
>reasonably red at around 620 deg C for it to melt. Soldering that takes a
>bit more than your old 'American Beauty' iron!!! (Shades of a 1948 W6ISQ
>article, where his  'American Beauty' iron was described as getting 'so
>hot that solder applied to the tip instantly vaporizes'!)

>The Low-Q
>suppressors we purvey have a Q of c. 1.5 at 100MHz.<
What is the effecive
>parallel impedance of them at 100MHz? That's what will determine VHF
>gain.
73
Peter G3RZP