Re: [Amps] amp tubes

To: "carl s." <carlseye@tampabay.rr.com>, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] amp tubes
From: "Mike Baker" <k7ddmjb@qwest.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 22:46:04 -0700
Hi Carl,
    Just a few thoughts came to mind.
    I would asume the Chinese might have used the Russian (AKA Sevetlana)
design of 572B as their model and they had more gain than other mfgrs.
    When Sevetlana first introduced them to the US markets it was observed
that they drove easier to greater output and were (under certin
circumstances and opperating conditions) not too stable at the upper HF
bands necessitating a change in cutoff bias and in some cases a change in
paricitic supressiors and some additinal stabalization methods to be
employed.
    If you are running 2300VDC you should be running about 565ma of plate
current which would give you about 1300 watts input and for that input about
900watts output.  If you meter is of normal accuracy then plus or minus 5
percent or more is not uncommon so to indicate "almost 1kw output" would be
pretty normal. PEP. They will take 2500 no problem but most older amps using
them tend to run closer to 2000 than 2500 and they get a bit "peppier" with
more voltage so if you are use to observing say an older SB200 with Taylor
or Cetron tubes of similar vintage then you are use to seeing more like 450
to 600 watts output (depending on age and emission).
    Just as a suggestion you might observ the PC Plate supressors to make
sure they are in good shape and not showing signs of heating due to some
"undesired" output on some freq other than the primary which might be
showing up in the output and giving you a false reading. A wide range
receiver on scan using a sample probe into a dummy load and running reduced
output to prevent overloading the power supply can be used in a pinch.
    For what its worth, I would just check to see the filament voltage is in
the proper range under load and button it up and enjoy the amp.
    Best 73
    Mike Baker  K7DD