[Amps] Bliss Motarized High-Power Tuner

To: "Amps Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Bliss Motarized High-Power Tuner
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:36:15 -0400
Some of you may know that John Bliss (W5EOE) manufactures a high-power (and
hence the AMPS tie-in), motorized antenna tuner for balanced lines, but I
thought some of you would be interesting in seeing a couple photos of a tuner
that I had John make to my specifications.  What's somewhat unusual is that the
wattmeter portion departs from that normally employed in most
commercially-manufactured tuners:

http://216.229.20.37/images/Bliss-Tuner-1.jpg

Note that a dual Bird Thruline section is used to simultaneously monitor
incident and reflected power.  The meters and Thruline section were
cannibalized from a surplus Bird 4526 meter panel.  I wanted the ability to
monitor both reads at once, but I detest the "ricey" look of cross-needle
meters.  Here's a close-up image of the metering that shows the Bird name-plate
added.

http://216.229.20.37/images/Bliss-Tuner-2.jpg

The remote balanced network uses a variation of the AG6K design, but a pair of
Jennings RS-6 vacuum relays are used to form a quasi "knife switch" for the
open line.  The open line vacuum relays are only energized when the tuner is
powered.  Over the weekend, I'll try to take some internal pictures of RF
network.

Disclaimer:  I am in no way affiliated with John Bliss, nor his company -- and
this post is not meant to be a product review nor an advertisement for his
products and services.

Paul, W9AC