Re: [Amps] Boycott New Chinese linear Amplifier

To: "Hsu" <Jbenson@sohu.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Boycott New Chinese linear Amplifier
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 21:21:20 -0400
>  It seems you  do not  know some Chinese tube's   history.
> 811 was called FU-811 in China .
>  it is copy from Russian G-811, 813 was called FU-13, it
> is copy from Russian GU-13.
>  Chinese 811 and 813 have been produced morethan 40-50
> years. they are   maturity.

Hsu,

Respectfully you are missing my point.

When people copy and repeat something else it is almost
never really improved. It is simply the same path and no
major change.
Major change or improvement requires thinking outside the
box and looking at what is wrong and improving it.

I can tell you very simple things that would greatly improve
the 811 tube operation without increasing cost, but they are
never done because everyone copies. Someone 30 years ago
should have looked at the 811 or 572 and realized for a cost
of pennies the tubes could be much better. that is what I
meant about copying.

Out of the entire AL811 you said the major quality
improvement was the meters are not glued in, but if you look
at any 811 amplifier made after the first sheet metal run
(when bracket holes were left out) you will see the meters
are retained by a bracket! They have been that way for many
years now.

My point is not to discourage you from building an amplifier
that copies the 811. Competition is good, and no one owns
the rights to any product without patents. As a matter of
fact almost any new product that is created isn't because
the technology is new. The value comes because to have an
edge or advantage and to keep the market someone has to do
something better than someone else.

I would never whine and cry about someone taking good ideas
from a product and making a better product, because that
just causes the first person to rethink what he has done and
the consumer wins. Just making 811 tubes the same way RCA
did 50 years ago is not skillful and really does not help
the customer. Just copying an AL811 to the point where the
switches are not moved, the coils are not moved, the cooling
is not better and quieter, and everything is duplicated
really doesn't help the customer. It's nothing to be proud
of.
Almost anyone can copy anything.

73 Tom