Re: [Amps] Amplifier Rule Changes in the new R&O

To: "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amplifier Rule Changes in the new R&O
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:07:22 -0400
> "In my opinion, confirmed by reading the R&O, this change is absurd.  In
> order not to exhibit the ability to amplify in 26-28 MHz, yet have full
> gain in the 10-meter ham band, any new amplifier will HAVE to incorporate
> expensive electronic means of blocking that frequency band.  Did anyone
> with an ounce of technical knowledge read these things?"

Pete, this section of the R&O essentially amounts to a status-quo change.
Perhaps the most significant change relates to the ability to offer complete
kits -- which may work to Elecraft's benefit.

There's nothing to stop an 11M operator from contracting with another to
build an amp kit.  This rule could even spring a cottage industry of  "kit
builders."  Accordingly, the new rule could in fact create a condition for
even more 11M amp activity.

It would have made more sense if the R&O included an amended rule in
which...

"It is unlawful for any person or entity to transfer title, convey, or sell
an amplifier in assembled or kit form, including full or partial kits for
which operation is capable between 26-28 MHz to any person or entity other
than a licensed amateur radio operator or qualified and FCC-licensed
industrial, commercial, or military entity."

Paul, W9AC