Re: [Amps] "10 Meter Ban" to be lifted ...

To: 'Karl-Arne Markström' <sm0aom@telia.com>,"'Tom W8JI'" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "'AMPS'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] "10 Meter Ban" to be lifted ...
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 10:57:59 -0500
I believe that Bell Labs many years ago published that the ratio of average
to peak speech power was 15 or 16 db.

As to the .25 second meter time constant I remember reading somewhere that
it was according to the meter manufacturers published specs on the meter.
Not sure if that was in the FCC rules, a clarification letter that they put
out or in some other publication.

Lots of transmitters of that era did not even have alc in them or any other
speech processing.
Alc is good for only 2 or 3 db of average increase before heavy distortion
raises its head. So even with alc under the old rules one could run
considerably more effective power than is allowed today under the new rules.

For those that doubt just watch the plate current meter on your transmitter
when you are hitting a little alc which should mean you are making maximum
peak envelope power, if everything is properly tuned, and figure what that
power input calculates to. On a 100 watt output radio the average power will
be in the order of 15 to 30 watts.

73
Gary  K4FMX