[Amps] Strange SWR

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Strange SWR
From: "JOS Earthlink" <jsternmd@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 13:47:00 -0500
OK, first this is an off-topic post but you guys seem to be the sharpest
guys on the block.  While tuning up my 30L-1 amp into a good quality 50ohm
dummy load (Palstar DL2K) - I inadvertently left the autotune function
engaged in my Kenwood TS-950SD.  I noticed that my 30L-1 output dropped
about 150w from 550 to 400w.   At the same time the SWR meter built into my
TS950 read an SWR of almost 1.0.  When I flicked the internal autotuner off,
without retuning - the 30L-1 output went back to 550W but I noticed that the
TS-950 SWR into the 30L-1 was 3.  Since I recently did a complete alignment
of all the RF input coils on the 30L-1 I was suspicious.  So I took the
30L-1 out of the circuit completely and just had the TS-950 feed through my
powermeter into the dummy load and checked everyhting and sure enough with
autotuner off the TS950 reads a high SWR but puts out more power around 80w
and with the autotuner on it reads a SWR of 1 but only puts out around 60w.
In all cases my powermeter reads virtually no reflected power (as it should
as it is a near perfect load) inot the DL2K).

So, what's the issue with my TS-950?  I can understand a screwy internal SWR
meter but my Powermaster meter says there's really a better output when the
autotuner is off with a worse mismatch?

Please help.

73 Jerry
K1JOS