Re: [Amps] Ferrite Rod

To: "k7rdx" <k7rdx@charter.net>,"Larry Carman" <lncarman@swbell.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ferrite Rod
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 09:35:29 -0500
Hi Jim,

> Larry,my initial thought was to urethane clear coat .125
> in. copper tubing

I would not use copper tubing. Copper tubing is great at
Radio Frequencies where skin depth is shallow, but not for
high current lower frequency stuff.
Current rating at low frequencies is related to conductor
cross section. .125' thin wall copper tubing is about like
using #10 AWG wire.

You'd be much better off in heating and voltage drop using
solid copper wire.

> and wind enough turns around paralled ferrite rods to get
> what I need...I
> planned to isolate the filament trans anyway,so added
> chokes in the primary
> may be effective in eliminating filament
> hum/modulation..PWD makes a nice
> high current choke too( for around 300.00 or so

You can get into all sorts of funny things with this. At
some frequency the choke will series resonate with the
transformer capacitance and you will have no choking
impedance.
Either use one or the other, not both.

A choke works easiest at higher frequencies, while an
isolated transformer and no secondary choke works best at
lower frequencies. A floating transformer can really be bad
at the 30MHz  end.

73 Tom