[Amps] power supply transformer

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] power supply transformer
From: kg7hf@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:58:08 +0000
I am not sure I'm sending this correctly, but here goes.

I want to build a 120 volt DC source that can supply ~35 amps.  I would like to
have the primary either 240 (typical) or 120 v AC.  It doesn't have to be
regulated, but must be somewhat well filtered.   My question is about
transformers, this type of transformer does not seem to be a common item.  Has
anyone ever heard of a 240/120 primary 120 secondary at these high current
levels?

Why do I need to use a transformer in the first place, can I not simply rectify
and filter the two legs of the 240 without a transformer?

Thanks
Paul (KG7HF)