Re: [Amps] How best to reduce filament voltage?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] How best to reduce filament voltage?
From: "David Lisney" <g0fvt@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 19:42:47 -0000
Hi, depending on the construction of your mains transformer sometimes it is
feasible to slip a few turns of ordinary connecting wire round the bobbin as
a "buck" winding. Obviously you will need to select wire of adequate current
rating. A friend has a commercial 4CX350 style amp, in the past someone had
done a creative bodge to make it run with the B version with it's 6v heater.
The thing was a mess with a small transformer hanging out of the back of the
amplifier. In this case 22 turns of wire round the bobbin of the original
mains transformer sorted us out. Obviously in our case we only needed 2 amps
so could use very small conductor but maybe worth a thought in your case. It
maybe worth checking your voltage at the socket itself, at the current you
are dealing with it maybe significantly lower at the valve base.

To drop that half volt you may need less than 2 turns of "bucking" wiring in
antiphase to the original filament supply... just an idea.... maybe easier
than finding a spot for a small wirewound.... Regards David G0FVT