Re: [Amps] How best to reduce filament voltage?

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, <w2cqm@juno.com>,<amps@contesting.com>, "Norman Hockler" <sanorm@columbus.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] How best to reduce filament voltage?
From: "Jim Tonne" <tonne@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:51:18 -0500
Tom wrote:

> This will not work. Don't do it.

>> Install a resistor on the primary side of the transformer.

which is what I would have suggested.

> It will totally hose the voltage regulation under load,

The load is constant so "regulation" in the usual sense
(same output voltage with varying load value) is not an
issue.  A series resistance would limit inrush.  A series
resistance at the transformer primary would limit inrush
to the transformer as well.

> the resistors would have to be huge.

Seems to me the resistor WATTAGE value would be
the same regardless of whether it was in the primary or
the secondary of the filament transformer.

Another way around this whole issue is to use a
relatively small bucking voltage (obtained from, say,
a filament transformer) in series with the transformer
primary to reduce its input voltage.  That would of
course be very efficient.  By putting a variac or
equivalent on the primary of the buck transformer
the filament voltage could be tweaked to perfection.

- JimT