[Amps] Lamps and surge protection

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Lamps and surge protection
From: "cattamanchi padmanabhan" <pepindia@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:10:37 -0800
It   is  how well  a tube,  incandescent or fluorescent lamp  can
with stand the initial surge.  A drop in the filament voltage
will definately prolong the life of the tube.  A  6146 in my
dx 60B  lasted for almost 20 years of  daily use and still is going
strong.  A  florescent lamp made by GEC  which was brought by my
grandfather in 1950  lasted for  23 years of daily use.  I still
remember the day on which it went QRT in 1973.  The on and off cycles
due have an impact, but the survival of a device during the initial
surge is of paramount importance.  I have seen a few SB200 last
for years without any problem, hard to figure out  'WHY?".
The filament voltage would have dropped on its own to prolong the
life of the tube.

73's
paddy