Re: [Amps] Loading SB-220

To: "'Pete Smith'" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Loading SB-220
From: "Robert B. Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 17:52:05 -0600
Hi Pete,

Now I will give out a massive warning to anybody with ANY AMP.  If you have
an amplifier that is PreWARC design and you decide to become a test pilot
and fire the unit up on 12 and or 17...  YOU BETTER be very observant as you
bring up the power.  As the Plate choke series resonates on any band it will
leave the amplifier.

My buddy had a PreWARC amp and the first time he fired it up on 17 the plate
choke left.  A call to the manufacturer provided him with a NEW and Improved
choke that has lasted another 15 years without incident.  He still doesn't
crank it up all the way on 17.

Since the amps (preWARC) were not tested there you are performing the
resonance test.  You will know once it passes about 100 Watts or so.

BOB DD