Re: [Amps] Loading SB-220

To: Jay Musikar <af2c@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Loading SB-220
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 23:18:58 -0500
Jay, the people whose advice you're following are simply wrong.  There is no
series resonance in the SB-220 plate choke that would affect performance or
cause damage in either the 18 or 24 MHz band.  That is true of some other older
amplifiers, but not this one.

I suspect I could make your SB-220 arc at either the tuning capacitor or the
bandswitch (depends on the era in which your SB-220 was built) simply by
running the loading much too light, or by causing a fault in the antenna.

Both these topics have been discussed several times on this reflector.

The correct amount of loading is not a matter of "belief."  It has to do with
bit of additional loading if you are concerned about optimizing IMD performance.

73, Pete