Re: [Amps] B&W FC-30 Filament Choke: EPILOGUE

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] B&W FC-30 Filament Choke: EPILOGUE
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 07:57:56 -0800
EP Swynar wrote:

> I've always been curious as to the possible effectiveness of
> employing the ferrite core from a TV picture tube deflection yoke /
> coil assembly as the foundation for a robust torroid-type filament
> choke...I have an inordinately LARGE example of one here, which was
> removed from a junked early colour TV set many years ago: maybe this
> is an opportunity in disguise, waiting to be realized...
>
> I have no knowledge of anyone ever having tried this latter trick,
> but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

TV horizontal oscillators worked (work?) at about 15 KHz. So who knows
how this core would work at 160 meters?

One thing I've done to evaluate an unknown ferrite (or iron powder) core
is to wind a turn or two on it and see what my MFJ antenna analyzer says
about it at the frequency of interest.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco