Re: [Amps] B&W FC-30 Filament Choke: EPILOGUE

To: <amps@contesting.com>, "Bill Fuqua" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Subject: Re: [Amps] B&W FC-30 Filament Choke: EPILOGUE
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 16:29:40 -0500
>I have some OLD FC-30 chokes in metal boxes with 4
>terminals on each end.
> One had a bad internal connection so I pried open the box
> and found that it
> was made of ferrite or powdered iron toroids not ferrite
> sticks.

The one I opened looked like they stole loopstick antennas
from a 1960's 6 transistor AM radio.

It had a whole pile of little flat ferrite cores that were
wide and thin and long all bonded together and thick
insulation wire (not even magnet wire) wound around it.

I was so unimpressed I never used another one.

73 Tom