Re: [Amps] Old Power Cord

To: "Kimberly Elmore" <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>,"Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Old Power Cord
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 20:07:26 -0500
 > Among the problems I now face is distance: one antenna (a
vertical dipole) is about 300 ft from the shack, and the
tower is about 100 ft away. The tower is grounded, but I've
not bonded that ground to any other grounds.

Why should you if it is that far away? It makes no sense to
do so.

< The vertical dipole does not use a ground reference,
though I could bond the 3 ft support it sits on to ground
with a ground rod. Likewise, I have rx loops set up in K9AY
fashion that are grounded at a single point. Everything in
the shack is grounded to its own ground rod, which is now
tied in only through the AC mains ground (does not meet
code). To meet code, I need to bond every ground rod
together with Big Wire of some kind, which means about 500
ft of bare copper wire will be required.

I don't think so. All you really need to do is make a single
point entrance ground and common ground there.

http://www.w8ji.com/station_ground.htm

NEC prohibits multiple independent grounds on systems
entering the house. It doesn't say every single ground
within 10 miles has to be bonded together or to the house
ground.

73 Tom