[Amps] Grounding (was Old Power Cord

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Grounding (was Old Power Cord
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 17:56:11 -0800
On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 13:51:03 -0800 (PST), Kimberly Elmore wrote:

>Obviously, I have additional work to do...

The installation you described with everything bonded together
outside is the right way to do it. You'll see the same thing at
microwave, two-way, and cell sites.

Yes, you do need to tie all of your stuff together, and you should
do it OUTSIDE your shack, with roughly the same routing as you saw.
BUT: you don't need huge copper. Remember, INDUCTANCE dominates the
impedance, not resistance. Resistance ONLY affects heat -- that is,
will the conductor conduct the current before it vaporizes -- while
the voltage (destruction potential for your equipment) depends on
the inductance (and thus the length).

As for your dipole -- you want to ground it, and you want that
ground to tie to the ground bus. Most of us ground our dipoles at
our ground common point, usually before they enter the shack.
Ideally that wants to be at a point where you can run short bonds to
your ground electrode bus (electrode is the correct name for what
goes in the ground), and the bus is that mass of wire that ties them
all together and to your power system.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC