Re: [Amps] 230v wiring question

To: "Amplifier- List" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 230v wiring question
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 16:52:46 -0700
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:22:20 -0400, Tom W8JI wrote:

>It's just very important for people to understand the
>following with capacitor input supplies:

While I completely agree with your comments about peak currents
for ALL electronic equipment (and wrote about it three years ago
in the power and grounding tutorial that is on my website), taking
the peak current into account, I still see #12 as quite adequate
for one 1.5kW amp and associated ham gear if the length of wire to
the breaker panel is only 35 ft. Certainly one would want to
upsize the wire if the run were longer or if you wanted to provide
room for growth. Or run another circuit.

Another inportant point. It is VERY desirable that the outlet for
the amp and the for 120V outlet that runs the rest of your ham
gear (and other gear connected to the ham gear) to be in the same
electrical quad box. That is, one quad box (or 4-gang if you like)
with one 240V duplex and the rest of the slots filled with 120V
duplexes.

This will minimize the potential difference between the safety
grounds (green wire/chassis) of all that equipment, which greatly
reduces the AC hum, buzz, and noise current on cable shields,
which in turn greatly reduces the likelihood that you will need
audio transformers or isolators on wiring between that equipment.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC