Re: [Amps] An inexpensive choke for a resonant filter

To: Jim Tonne <tonne@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] An inexpensive choke for a resonant filter
From: Angel Vilaseca <avilaseca@bluewin.ch>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 07:45:24 +0200
Jim

I see from your simulation that a 2 H inductance is typical for a HV
secondary.

I wonder if a HV transformer from a microwave oven cold be recycled in a
HV power supply, using its secondary winding a a choke. It's big and
it's free!

There is also this nice HV capacitor in a micowave oven power supply. I
wonder what the resonance frequency would be if wired in parallel with
the transformer secondary. Or a couple of them in parallel.

The magnetic shunts should be left in the microwave oven transformer.
They put them there to avoid current peaks, so I guess they would very
conveniently damp any overcurrent peaks at resonance.

Both units, transformer and capacitor are HV units, and designed to
carry quite a bit of current, so using them in this way should be quite
safe.

The main point is: what would the resonant frequency be? I think I am
going to try to measure this this week-end.

Vy 73

Angel HB9SLV