Re: [Amps] Sequencing an Alpha 87a

To: "'Paul Christensen'" <w9ac@arrl.net>,"'jsternmd'" <jsternmd@earthlink.net>,"'Amps Amps'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Sequencing an Alpha 87a
From: "Dick Green" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 21:50:20 -0400
I had some off-reflector discussion with Larry and found that his concern
isn't with the 87A T/R switching. After all, the 87A uses PIN diodes and
should be able to switch fast enough to not require a keying loop unless the
rig has serious bugs (besides, the 87A keying loop doesn't work very well
and the manual says don't use it.)

Larry is concerned about the mechanical relay that bypasses input RF during
an automatic band change. He's worried that the 7800 will see a high-SWR
transient as the relay is switching. Probably true, but I've never run into
a rig that had a problem with it.

Paul, does the 7800 really have delicate finals and/or a fold-back circuit
that can't protect them?

73, Dick WC1M