Re: [Amps] AL-80A tube glow

To: 'Kim Östman' <kim.ostman@tut.fi>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-80A tube glow
From: "W5CUL" <w5cul@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 11:21:19 -0500
Kim,

Just as a point of reference, I run an AL-80B with a Taylor 3-500Z.  When
running SSB, antenna ~1.2:1, driven with 50-60W, normal voice peaks stay
under 50ma Ig, power out is ~700 - 800W peak.  If I drive the amp such that
I push the Grid current to ~100ma during voice peaks, I will achieve ~1000W,
an additional 50ma of Grid will get me ~1100-1200W.  It is definitely a
logarithmic function, with the Grid taking the brunt of the burden in order
to squeeze out more wattage; not worth it if you want to make the tube last.

Mike
W5CUL