Re: [Amps] ALPHAs and momentary power outages

To: "'Paul Cassel'" <paul@ve3sy.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ALPHAs and momentary power outages
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:44:18 -0400
I have an 87A and 2000A here, too, and have always liked the 2000A's short
warmup after power down and immediate restart.

I'm virtually certain the three-minute timer is implemented in the 87A
firmware, not an external circuit. But my understanding is that the code
space is really tight, so it might be difficult to add code like the 2000A.
If you could locate the timer value you could patch it to a lower value on
the fly when you get a short duration power interruption, then patch it back
for normal startup. A patch like that is not for the faint of heart and
would certainly violate the warranty, but if I knew the timer value address
I'd do it under circumstances like Yuri faced. I'd keep a laminated cheat
sheet handy!

Of course, the question is -- what's the startup timer value address? I
suspect Alpha won't be willing to give you that information, but you can
always ask. If you find out, let me know!

73, Dick WC1M