Re: [Amps] ALPHAs and momentary power outages

To: <wc1m@msn.com>, "'Jim Brown'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ALPHAs and momentary power outages
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:02:41 -0400
> I'm glad someone was paying attention. It would be hard to
> reprogram the
> microprocessor, but it would be easy to patch the timer
> value on the fly, as
> needed. You just have to get the address(s) and meaning of
> the value(s) from
> Alpha.

My bet is the timer has a reset line or line that monitors
power down. It may even just be when the power to the
microprocessor is removed, the CPU restarts.

The simplest approach would be to fool the system into not
knowing the power ever went down. You could do that with a
battery and R/C timer, a large electrolytic and a few
diodes, or any other number of ways.

Maintaining the entire power line and HV supply is probably
not even necessary. I would however restrict the hang time
to several seconds and no longer, and make sure the step
start recycled.

73 Tom