Re: [Amps] [Fwd: Re: LK 500 ZA heat]

To: <wc1m@msn.com>, <AMPS@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: Re: [Amps] [Fwd: Re: LK 500 ZA heat]
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:19:34 -0400
> I haven't had my LK500ZC as long as Carl, but I never had
> a "parasitic"
> problem with mine, either. I had lots of other problems,
> most of which were
> the result of errors and mishaps on the part of previous
> owners.

I think the problem is many people don't really understand
what causes problems, and so they look for one Devine answer
to all failures. The fashionable answer when someone doesn't
really know the answer is "parasitics".

A tube arcs momentarily, a very common event with high
voltage tubes, and it is a parasitic.

A bandswitch fails, a common event with antenna system
faults, poor wiring, poor switch choice,  or poor tuning
adjustments.... and it is a parasitic.

A plate choke burns out, common when there is a series
resonance, and it is a parasitic.

A carbon resistor in a suppressor goes off value, very
common for carbon comps operated in high temperature
environments, and it is a parasitic.

What you find is the people who don't really know what the
problem was blame a parasitic and say "that's common with
xxx amplifier" while the people who do understand the system
say "mine never had that problem".

That's why there is always such a disagreement.

73 Tom