[Amps] IMD

To: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>, <Gudguyham@aol.com>,<la7sl@online.no>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] IMD
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 18:10:32 -0400
As Ive already mentioned I do my IMD tests at 600W after tuning up at around
750W or wherever the tubes "land" with rated Ig or a bit less. Typical for
those 3 points is in the -32 to -37 dB range. Loading is critical to maximizing
the IMD.

The only time Ive seen 7.5dB gain is with tired tubes. Full output ones can run
as high as 11-12 dB with 10 being the norm. This last amp which prompted the
thread was doing 900W with a bit under 100W drive, I didnt leave it on more
than a few seconds. Backing down to 50W yielded 750W at 55% efficiency.

Im not overly concerned about the rated dissapation, that was derived for CCS
audio service for which the tube was originally designed by Taylor.

Depending upon which spec sheet you read the max Ep can be as high as 2750V,
Cetron was just one of many building that tube in the USA or Europe.

It's a whole lot easier to tune a 6M amp with selected C values as compared to
say using a 250pf Tune and 850 pf Load on 10/15M as is the norm with the HF
amps. Fast tuning means the plates dont even show color and once set leave it
alone.

If you look at the AL-1200 specs they claim 1200W with 3 tubes so no matter how
anyone wants to spin it Im not doing anything different at 750W with two.

End of discussion finally I hope.

Carl
KM1H