Re: [Amps] How much electrolitic for a HV supply ?

To: Hamilton Horta - PY2NI <py2ni@terra.com.br>
Subject: Re: [Amps] How much electrolitic for a HV supply ?
From: "Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]" <peter@frenning.dk>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:35:34 +0200
Hamilton Horta - PY2NI skrev:
>     Hi everybody, is there any rule of thumb or whatever to determine the
> minimum
> amount of electrolitic caps should one put in a HV power supply?
>     I am building a VHF PA with 1x GI-7B @ 2200V and another for a friend of
> mine with 2xGI-7B, I know that we are usually biased to use as much as
> possible but I am really eager to know the minimum for these two amps
> running 1xGI-7B and one with 2xGI-7B both operating at 2200V.
>
> Thanks a lot.

Hi Horta,
It's mostly a question of availability of suitable Caps. A well suited
common type is 450V/220uF, you could get by with 6 in series, but that
is cutting it very close, prudence would say use 8 in series giving a
reasonable margin on V and some 27.5uF - that'll do at least up to 500mA
and likely substantially more.
I'm using this configuration in both a 2200V supply for a Gi7b (144MHz)
and a 3000V supply for a QB-4/1100 (HF), both has given trouble-free
operation for several years and good reports on audio quality.

--
Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

** CW: Who? Me? You must be joking!! **
email: peter(no-spam-filler)@frenning.dk