[Amps] Conversions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Conversions
From: "Roger Halstead" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:19:51 -0400
With all this talk of conversions, I'd think the old Alpha 76 series would
be ideal.  The tubes are rated for well above 50 MHz, they are easy to
drive, and 76As are going for less than the price for a pair of tubes.

Although the 8874s are getting scarse and expensive, they are relatively
easy to convert to one or two 3CX-800s as even the two-holer has plenty of
room for three 8874s, two 3 CX-800s, or even a single 8877. However the 8877
requires building a plenum and using a squirrel cage blower for cooling.

I picked up a 2002A with a good 3CX800 for a very good price at a local swap
to run on 2-meters and have the Tokyo Hy-Power HL1.5Kfx which runs about 750
to 800 out (Measured on the Bird) on 6-meters.  Admittedly the 1.5Kfx did
cost a *little* more that the conversions that have been discussed, but now
I'm looking at building something up for 6 and 2 for the station in here and
I want to stay conservative at the legal limit if possible.

At one time the $CX-1600B looked promising, but they are no longer
available. The 8877 and 3CX800s are available and easy to drive. Smaller
tubes as well as the 3-500Zs are not under consideration. I already have a
Henry 2K4 with a heavy duty transformer that could be converted to either
band with the appropriate tubes, but the thing is a monster and I'd like to
stick with something I can put on the desk top.

TIA for any socially acceptable suggestions,

Roger (K8RI)