Re: [Amps] Conversions

To: Roger Halstead <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Conversions
From: martin <msole@loxinfo.co.th>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:32:09 +0700
I'm not particularly interested in 50MHz, no allocation here, but even
at HF I think conversions could be further explored.

I have an Alpha 78 and whilst it does work, sort of, 1500 watts at 100mA
of grid current and exhaust air hot enough to toast bread! I'm not
particularly impressed with the idea of circa $1200 for a replacement
set of tubes. It had crossed my mind to swap the 8874's for 3CX800's but
the prices I see for a pair suggest the work would not really be worth it.

If you have a 'source' do tell. I promise it'll be our secret :-)

I don't think an 8877 will fit. Maybe with an external blower and a new
plenum it could be done and at about $800 for the tube might be the most
cost effective, in relative terms only of course. Single tube amps are
good. I don't think any of the russian tubes will fit, they all look way
to big physically and I seem to think they all need, or like, lots more
air, and there is essentially no space to build a screen supply and
convert it to a tetrode amp. One way might be to make it a two box amp
with an external supply using the same components. That would release a
lot more room in the box I guess. But when all said and done it might
just be better with some of these amps to just sell them on and put the
funds toward something more current. I know that rather goes against
'the amateur way' but I could more rewardingly use the time and effort
on some other aspect of the hobby perhaps.

73
Martin, HS0ZED