Re: [Amps] Let down

To: <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Let down
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 19:46:17 -0400
Is CQ still published? Shame on you Peter for even reading it. If you need
some bathroom tissue I'm sure that one of your dailies would suffice (;

Once a great magazine, in the late 40's and 50's it often excelled QST for
quality construction articles. I still have a GDO I built from a 1949 issue
(that circuit eventually became the Measurements 59) using a 955 acorn
triode. In the 80's I  "discovered" the all metal (no capacitors) T match
from the same year I believe which had been used by Telrex for decades.

That trim the transmission line idea has been published on and off since at
least the early 30's and I must confess to doing it myself back in ancient
history. I think it was done to get the apparent VSWR down on one of the
very early Hi-Gain 3el tribanders that I had around 1962 or so.

Some amp manufacturers, including Collins, required a specific length of
input coax.

Carl
KM1H