Re: [Amps] Testing 8874s

To: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>,"Joe Staples" <w5asp@earthlink.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Testing 8874s
From: "Fern Rivard" <crc@cyberlink.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 18:30:07 -0600
Hi Carl:

    I have found that tubes used in uhf and vhf applications normally will
still have plenty of good life in hf applications. This has been my personal
observation over the close to 50 years that I've been involved on commercial
land mobile work.
    Cheers from Fern

Many used 8874's come from VHF/UHF commercial service and are pretty close
to dead by the time they are replaced. Shorted tubes usually come from hams
who have problems with overdriving and mistuning.

Carl
KM1H