Re: [Amps] Testing 8874s

To: "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net>,"jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>,"Steve Thompson" <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Testing 8874s
From: wa4tuk-rf@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 19:27:41 +0000
I would also be interested in guidelines for tube leakage using a hi-pot
tester.  My homemade unit will go to 10kv DC and I've used it to test some long
stored tubes for leakage but interpretation of the results is only a guess.
Metering is plus or minus 50 microamps.

At what voltage do you test? At 2 times intended DC plate volts or maybe 4
times DC plate volts? Test between plate and grid?

How high can the leakage be before the tube is unusable? How do you predict
where it might flashover?

How much leakage condemns a vacuum variable to the trash?

The types in question are the typical kinds a  ham might use 3-500, 4-400, 811,
813, 572b, etc.

FYI, there is an article that Eimac (CPI) publishes on hi-pot testing of tubes.
It is directed at very large tubes that need conditioning before use. One
concept they talk about is de-barnacleing new tubes to flash away high points
within the tube by controlled flashover.

One surprising finding was how well my old collection of 5r4's fared and how
well 1n4007's actually tested.  (They tested well above 1kv before they even
though about reverse flow.)

Pat
wa4tuk

From: "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net>