[Amps] How to measure output power of a 800W vhf amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] How to measure output power of a 800W vhf amp
From: "Hamilton Horta - PY2NI" <py2ni@terra.com.br>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 17:43:57 -0300
    Hi guys.
     I am almost finishing a 2xGI-7b VHF amp and I would like to have a fair
reading of the output power. Lots of thoughts crossed my mind, even a simple
diode rf probe but I guess it will be dificult to find a suitable ( please
read cheap and easy to find) diode for this task, being not linear is not an
issue at all, I can do the scale of the meter accordingly.
    Does anybody have a sugestion for this circuit? It is a VHF only amp so
a narow band probe is ok.

P.S. What about a  30 dB resistive attenuator ahead a simple 1N4148 RF
probe, will I burn in hell for thinking about it???

Thanks

Horta
PY2NI