Re: [Amps] Winding large inductors

To: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@air-pipe.com>,"Dennis Ashworth" <K7FL@arrl.net>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Winding large inductors
From: "Jim Tonne" <tonne@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:05:14 -0500
> I have heard of people filling the tubing with sand
> to prevent it from kinking.

Pinch one end shut, fill it with sand, pinch other end
shut.  Wind the coil.  To keep the tubing from
collapsing it must be FULL and tamped.

When done, unpinch an end and remove the sand.

If you want to!  You could nicely pinch each end
and use those pinched places to make the connections
to the ends.   I would place money the sand could be
left in place with no ill effects at all.  Of course if you
are winding it a bit "long" then you will have to open
up an end and if you do you might as well dump the
sand.

- Jim WB6BLD