Re: [Amps] Winding large inductors

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Winding large inductors
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 22:11:49 +0000
Dan Hearn wrote:

> Dennis, I have heard of people filling the tubing with sand to prevent it
> from kinking. I would think you could push or pull on the end of the
> inductor to adjust turn spacing. How about using small nylon cord wound with
> the tubing to approximate the spacing you want?
I've used sand very successfully to avoid pipe kinking when
bending - although not for inductor winding. With larger coils and
heavy wire I anchor the far end and wind the free end onto a
former, walking towards the anchor. This lets you use body weight
to keep tension on the wire. I don't suppose you'll get much
tension into quarter inch tube, but maybe better than nothing -
assuming the tube is soft enough to wind that way.

Steve