Re: [Amps] Tranformer Suppliers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tranformer Suppliers
From: "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 20:59:11 -0500

> In a message dated 12/7/2007 6:05:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> sccook1@cox.net writes:
> Where can an individual purchase core material, paper, wire, etc?  We may
> need to get serious about winding our own...
> Wonder if there is a distributor who will sell Hypersil C cores to hams.
> I would love to give it a try -- but can seem to locate anything on the
> Internet.
>

> I bought a nice supply of E-I laminations from Tempel Steel a number of
> years
> ago. They will sell in small quantities to hams. I bought some nice
> bobbins

Hardwood blocks make good forms.
It just depends on how much automation you want to use.

> from another place I can't remember who it was right now. I found a big
> roll of
> heavy-duty 70-lb Kraft Paper from Browncor.  I was able to build a nice
> heavy
> -duty filament transformer from the parts. I haven't tried to buy a
> Hypersil
> core though.
>
> If someone wants to do more advanced work you can buy a suitable vacuum
> pump
> on eBay for $100-$150 bucks or so. Get a vacuum Bell Jar, or build your
> own,

I've seen this done using a vacuum cleaner and a metal chamber. You don't
need a high vacuum. Just enough so the varnish will fill all the voids. He
then baked them in his "first wife's" kitchen oven.<:-))

> dunk your transformer in a tub of varnish inside the jar and turn on the
> vacuum

It works even better if you put the core in a small "empty" container inside
the chamber and then evacuate it. Pipe the varnish in to the container
holding the core and then let the air back in. This does a much beter job of
eliminating voids. We do something similar when vacuum bagging fiberglass
lay-ups.

Good luck,

Roger (K8RI)