Re: [Amps] re dishtronix amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] re dishtronix amp
From: Patrick <flymooney@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:20:08 -0500
EP Swynar wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I just don't get it: folks are ready, willing, and able to spend HUGE
> dollars, for such relatively simple equipment!

   I think part of the "problem" is a good economy. If I just want to
"use" an amplifier, then it does not make economic sense for me to build
one. In the time it takes me to learn everything and put it together, I
could have already bought it and been on the air. Now if I am in it to
learn something and have pride in having accomplished building it, then
I put in the time to learn the different skill sets that I would need to
build a good, rugged amplifier.

   Personally, I like the learning aspect so I choose to invest my time
in learning and building. But if others choose to invest in buying an
amplifier, then more power to them. Gets them on the air (good), keeps
the frequencies busy (good), and helps out the guy who builds these
things for a living (really good). At the pay rate most people earn,
that is the best rate of return for their time (again, supposing that
they just want to "use" an amp and not really interested in learning a
lot about building one).

Patrick KA4ZNU