Re: [Amps] More on using a PIC processor inside HF amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] More on using a PIC processor inside HF amp
From: David G4FTC <g4ftc@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 19:18:38 +0000

There's another factor to be considered.

Sometime ago I was considering using a PIC as an amplifier controller, and
certainly there are certain advantages to that approach for sequencing,
step-start timers. metering etc.

However, my concern was using the device for protection - knowing my luck just
as when it was needed to do a shut down, say after a flash-over, the thing
would lock up, and you'd be waiting for the watchdog timer to reset it while
the amp is sitting there merrily arcing away!

Also remember there's a certain latency from the time the PIC detects the
shutdown signal to the time the outputs can change.

In the end I used a thyristor as the main control element - it's fast and once
it's triggered it's going to stay triggered!

Regards

David G4FTC