[Amps] SB-220

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SB-220
From: "Jeff Carter" <amps@hidden-valley.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:50:58 -0400
Hi all,

As an experiment and educational opportunity, I am preparing to
rebuild two SB-220s that I just bought for the purpose.  I intend to
go all the way to the metal and start over, just like I was building
it from the original manual.  I was told rather than try to build an
amp from scratch for a first try that I could learn more by
refurbishing a well-known design, and this would give me a good
background for when I wanted to try to scratch-build.

Since this is an amps-only list, and since this amplifier is well
known according to Google, I thought there might be several folks on
the list who spoke fluent Heathkit.

There seems to be some disagreement on different sites about the best
mods to incorporate into this amplifier, specifically regarding
self-oscillation of the 3-500z tubes.  As a HF amp n00b, I thought it
best to ask some questions before I dove in.

When you've all done rebuilds on this amp, what did you do and what
could you personally recommend for it?  I will likely want to operate
these amps when I am finished, so it's very important to me that this
is done right.  Anything you could tell me would be appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Jeff/KD4RBG