Re: [Amps] Replacing 811A with 572B

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Replacing 811A with 572B
From: Scott Manthe <n9aa@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 22:07:33 -0400
The AL-811H runs about 1600-1800 volts HV, not 1400, which is why it's
not a bad idea to run the 572Bs in that amp.

While the cost difference seems substantial, you'll probably never have
to replace a 572B, imported or otherwise, when run in an AL-811H. RF
Parts lists the Marshall 811A at $29.45 each and Chinese 572Bs at $39
each, so the price difference at this point is substantial, but not so
much so, if you consider the increased life expectancy.

The size difference between the two tubes does not present a problem in
the AL-811H amp.

73,
Scott, N9AA