Re: [Amps] Dual power supplies in EB104 4X MRF150 design

To: d.cutter@ntlworld.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dual power supplies in EB104 4X MRF150 design
From: "Anthony Rick" <asrick@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:33:06 -0500
The other requirement that I know of is to make sure all downstream supplies
have a floating DC chassis ground.  This can be confirmed by checking
continuity between the DC output and case.  The leading supply SHOULD have
the DC ground bonded to the chassis.  All of the supply chassis should
then be bonded together and fed from a common AC input source.  So in the
end every supply should have a chassis at the same ground potential as the
other station equipment while the DC output of the other supplies are
floating above potential (which is what we want in order to increase
voltage).

The other thing to consider is how the regulation my be compromised.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but  I imagine that if each supply is regulated to
+/- 5%, then this margin should increase with every supply in the chain.  So
four 12V supplies may only be regulated to +/- 20%, or vary by almost 10V.

I should say that I have never personally used power supplies in
series but that is how it should work in theory.

Anthony