Re: [Amps] AL-80A HV Glitch

To: "George" <k4gvt@comcast.net>, "Mark McCloud" <k6ycv@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-80A HV Glitch
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:23:23 -0400
From: "George" <k4gvt@comcast.net>
To: "Mark McCloud" <k6ycv@yahoo.com>
Cc: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:48 PM

> Hello Mark, I have an ALS1500, and had a similar problem. Found the
> screws holding the HV filter board had become loose during shipping.
> This was not a problem until after several weeks of use. Once it
> surfaced it progressively got worse. Normally this wouldn't be a problem
> (unless
> they completely disengaged, however Ameritron has elected to use the
> standoffs supporting the HV filter board as the ground return path for
> the HV.
> This can be very dangerous as well as problematic, as in my case. Not to
> mention poor engineering practice.  After tightening the screws on both
> side of the standoffs, I added ground wires (four) from the filter board
> to the chassis. This resolved the arcing issue and gave me more confidence
> in the power supply connections.
>
> 73,
> George, K4GVT

I recently had a Heath SB-1000 in here for 6M conversion with the same
problem as it is pretty much an AL-80 clone with many parts provided by
Ameritron.

I drilled a hole in the base plate and installed an insulated braid ground
wire using a star washer on the inside and nut/lstar washer externally.

Carl
KM1H
Amplifier Repairs, Upgrades, and 6M Conversions Since 1964