Re: [Amps] current in primary of microwave oven transformer

To: "'Dr. David Kirkby'" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>, "'Angel Vilaseca'" <avilaseca@bluewin.ch>, "'AMPS'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] current in primary of microwave oven transformer
From: "Alex" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:19:39 +0300
...guys this is normal behavior for all transformers!
It is the result of the existence of a magnetizing inductance, usually
depicted as a parallel inductance across the primary and every transformer
has it. Don't worry about it: it's something physical and cannot be avoided!
There are higher power transformers  in which this current can reach in the
amperes range, but it's reactive current, except for a few watts loss in the
ohmic component: that the reason it doesn't show up as heat. These
transformers are usually good for about 750 watts continuous, 1000 watts
ICAS.
Alex    4Z5KS