[Amps] Henry 3004A 70cm amp

To: "'Paul Christensen'" <w9ac@arrl.net>, <k6xx@juno.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Henry 3004A 70cm amp
From: "Andy GD0TEP" <andy@gd0tep.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:44:42 +0100
My 3004 70cm amplifier seems to have a problem with the power output load
cap.

The cap is a flapper linked to the output socket, adjustment is via a
control on the front of the amp, this in turn adjusts the load cap via a
chain link. That in itself is OK, but the threaded rod the cap sits on,
falls off whilst tuning the loading. By that I mean it actually falls of the
threaded rod it sits on. Once off, it requires the lid to come off, and I
have to push the cap back whilst turning the control for the cap,
re-threading it back on. Of course, the amp is powered down and residual KV
has disapated.

I can't see how Henry built the RF deck like this, so it's my guess that
something is faulty with the loading set-up some how... I just don't know
how...

Has anyone out there got a similar amp that could have a look to see what
stops the cap from falling off...?

I've put a picture of it here: http://www.gd0tep.com/henry2.jpg

Advice on what's wrong would be appreciated.

73
Andy
http://gd0tep.com