[Amps] SS high power for 1296 MHz ?

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SS high power for 1296 MHz ?
From: Hugh <hughd@cogeco.ca>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 13:17:19 -0400
I have a KD5FZX GS-15b cavity that I need to build into a full amp. In
the meantime I'm still looking for ideas on converting commercial solid
state amplifier(s) to 1296 MHz on the cheap.
It looks like there are plenty of surplus 800/900 MHz amps out there ala
SGTF1020/1038 series but most of them appear to use internally
compensated FETs and/or non-modifiable etched substrate stripline boards
that will not produce decent power at 1296. I suppose that's why they
are $60 or less :)  It would be wonderful to get 200~300w out at 1296MHz
via SS PA without cutting off my left arm.
Any ideas ?

Hugh VA3TO