Re: [Amps] 3 phase HV transformer using 240 single phase

To: "'Richard Sisson'" <wa4mif@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3 phase HV transformer using 240 single phase
From: "Paul Elliott" <paab@valornet.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 02:19:05 -0000
Richard

I have been using a three phase transformer on single phase for several
years.  Two of the primaries are in parallel (240 vac), their secondaries
are in series--the third bank is left floating.  The series aecondaries are
bridge rectified--has 26 mfd on the output and a fairly stout bleeder (have
forgotten the exact value).  No load voltage output is 4000 vdc--with a 500
ma load by my homebuilt 8877 amp voltage drop is about 150 vdc.  The
transformer is a brute--about 100 lbs in weight.  I use a step-start not
only to protect the components but also to keep from tripping the breaker
when I turn it on.  I have forgotten exactly what the primary resistance is,
but it is very low.

The supply has work flawlessly.  I work mainly cw.

Good luck.

73 Paul W5DM  A ham for over 71 years