Re: [Amps] 3-500 availability

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500 availability
From: <Randy.Randall@healthall.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 19:38:41 -0400
Well our only sources now are NOS Eimac, Amperex and China Inc.  As long as
there is a demand from the MRI industry Amperex will provide new tubes.  Hams
for the most part do not use Amperex due to their high cost.  Amperex is an
excellent tube though.  China Inc.  (RF Parts, Taylor, Generic)  are a real
crapshoot as to supply.  If the factory can make more $$$ manufacturing CF
lamps, neon signs etc., they will stop production overnight with out warning.
I think that a spare set on the shelf might not be a bad idea.

Randy AB9GO

Randy E. Randall
Network Engineer
The Health Alliance of Greater Cincinnati
Phone 513-585-7146
Fax 513-585-7159

>>> "Rob Atkinson" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com> 05/26/08 1:50 PM >>>
Ed,

It's almost a moot point in that if you simply order one or two pairs now,
they'll stand a good chance of outlasting you if you treat them right.  I
know a guy running the same pair of 3-500s since the 1970s.  And the 3-500
has a grid that's so robust you almost have to do something deliberate to
damage one of those tubes.  For these reasons I won't run any other tube; my
next amp will either be an AL82 or AL80B or a solid state amp.

73,

rob / k5uj

<<<

Hello All,

I would appreciate hearing any thoughts on the future availability of the 3-500
tube.

Thanks and 73,

Ed, W6GJI>>>

privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.