Re: [Amps] Damage?

To: "Robert Kirkland" <alpha76@triton.net>, "amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Damage?
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:05:08 +0200
It is very unlikely that modern cars, which are built to very strict EMC
specifications, could be interfered with or damaged by amateur power levels,
even if parked in the near field of quite large antennas.

There may be a somewhat different situation with cars of "yesteryear" which
were designed before the "EMC awareness" of the car industry.

I know, as an eye-witness, what happens if you park a French-made compact
car from the late 80's in the main radiation direction of a 12 dBi HF
"log-periodic" at a distance of about 100 meters with the antenna fed by 400
kW 100% modulated carrier.

The car's electronic fuel injection system went completely "dead" and its
unfortunate owner had to wait for a break in the transmission to be able to
start the car and escape.

After this incident a sign was posted that owners of modern cars should park
at least 300 meters away from the antenna to avoid embarassing situations...

This particular transmitter site was decommissioned about 10 years ago, and
its antenna system moved and reused at another site.

I have not heard any recent reports about "car interference" from there,
except for the odd incident of windshield wipers starting on their own and
strange noises coming out of the car stereo.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM